October 9, 2013

WIP Wednesday

This is a first for me . . . getting bee/guild blocks done ahead of time instead of the last week of the month which seems to be my norm. Maybe it's the fact that September was my month to receive blocks from the Mid Century Modern Bee so I didn't have to make any blocks last month.  Maybe it's that I will be gone the end of the month so want to have things done before I leave. Whatever the reasons, I like the feeling of being a little ahead of the game. If only it would last.  sigh.....

One of the first things I tackled was the tomato paper pieced blocks for part of a larger fruit and veggie quilt the Boulder Modern Quilt Guild is making to thank Alfalfas grocery for letting us use their community room to hold our sew days.


We recently had a paper piecing lesson given by Sharon who is one of our members. She did a wonderful job leaving me with a renewed interest in paper piecing and feeling confident for this group project. That confidence quickly collapsed as I attempted these pesky little tomatoes.

On the first two I accidentally trimmed off the part I had just sewn on when I trimmed the seam allowance. Then there was the piece that wasn't big enough and then sewing along the wrong line. I am not a screamer but this had me screaming loud and long. On top of all the problems, I don't really like how the blocks came out but at this point they're done. Done done done! 

I also jumped in to make the Mid Century Modern October block for Elizabeth over at Occasional Piece Quilt. She's already working on her Christmas quilt and asked for green and white blocks. Birds in the Air was the block I chose to make for her. Hope it will work with all the others she'll get.


I don't think I ever posted about the August blocks for this bee either. Mary at Mary on Lake Pulaski asked for pink X&+ blocks to make quilts for her two granddaughters that are on the way. Very fun little blocks to make and so very sweet with all that pink.


I received several wonderful blocks from my Mid Century Modern beehive for my month of September. They whipped up the most wonderful assortment of blocks for what will become a new pattern from SpringLeaf Studios in the next month or so. More on that to come soon.

Here's the fabric selection I sent them as a point of reference. I was looking for strong pastels in sherbet sorbet type colors. Boy did everyone deliver. There were only one or two duplicate fabrics out of 19 blocks and only one or two that are fabrics I have in my stash. Just what I wanted . . . lots of diversity. Can't wait to clear my design wall now and get started on arranging all these fun bee blocks.


Another design has been on the wall for awhile as I've been working on different versions of yet another pattern. I just finished up the second top using this lovely jelly roll of High Street by Lily Ashbury for Moda. Love the colors . . . grays, soft yellows, oranges, pinks and a touch of fushia.


Stay tuned as both these projects get finished up and introduced in the next few months.

I'm linking up to Lee's WIP Wednesday post. Hop over and see what else is going on.

Follow on Bloglovin