The second quarter of the Finish Along is well under way and I can't say I'm making much progress yet so I thought it was about time I did something. Anything. This week it was sewing together the bee blocks from my fellow Boulder MQG members.
I played with a few different layouts earlier. You wouldn't think there are so many variations, but depending on the colors you use and their placement within the block, plus the number of blocks you have, there are several design options.
In the end, I went with the diagonal line arrangement. This simple arrangement worked well with just 12 blocks. The smaller size, finishing at 36" x 48, will make a nice baby quilt. I think the colors are fitting for either a boy or girl. Once it's done, I'll be donating it. Hoping to do more charity work this year both personally and through the guilds I belong to so this was a good place to start.
Someday I'd love to make a bigger scrappy trip quilt, perhaps with lots of Kaffe prints. Having more blocks to play with would be fun. Someday. : )
I've also made a few more leafy checkerboard blocks using the same scrappy trip block tutorial. Right now I'm undecided about whether to turn it into a queen size for our bedroom. That wasn't the original purpose so we'll see. I think I'll make another row of blocks across and down and then decide. That means 9 more blocks but I have the strips cut and ready to go. This is another one of those projects that I like to take to guild sew days because there's no prep. It's all ready to go and sew.
Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.